GlenDronach releases ‘oldest ever’ whisky
GlenDronach has unveiled the latest batch of its single cask bottlings, which includes the “oldest” liquid ever released by the distillery.
Cask number 5837 was filled with the Highland spirit in 1968, before maturing at the Aberdeenshire distillery for almost half a century.
Now 301 bottles of the 47-year-old whisky have been released, as part of The BenRiach Distillery-owned GlenDronach’s thirteenth single cask outturn.
Master blender Billy Walker said: “This marvel is an amazing, venerable and exceptionally rare whisky, and it is sure to become one of our most sought-after bottlings.
“We only have a few casks of the legendary 1968 vintage left in our inventory and they are extraordinary survivors from a golden, bygone age of whisky production. Today we are thrilled and delighted to present this remarkable expression in Batch 13 to our customers worldwide.”
According to GlenDronach, the 45.9% abv Cask 5837 is dark oak colour in appearance, edged with rich crimson. On the nose, “intense, full-bodied aromas of dark treacle, sour plums and rich prune syrup combine with fragrant herbal notes and faint cigar smoke”.
The palate comprises “an impactful sherried character” which is “laden with dark prunes and molasses”. Meanwhile, “a torrent of vibrant orange bitters and dark espresso holds hints of eucalyptus and pine needles”.
Eight other single cask expressions are included in the batch, with the youngest a “zingy” 12-year-old from cask 5521.
The full cask details are:
- 1968 cask # 5837 / 47 years old / Pedro Ximenez Sherry Hogshead / 45.9% vol.
- 1991 cask # 2361 / 24 years old / Oloroso Sherry Butt / 53.1% vol.
- 1992 cask # 76 / 23 years old / Oloroso Sherry Butt / 52.0% vol.
- 1993 cask # 40 / 23 years old / Oloroso Sherry Butt / 58.5% vol.
- 1994 cask # 3274 / 21 years old / Pedro Ximenez Sherry Puncheon / 53.1% vol.
- 1995 cask # 3047 / 20 years old / Pedro Ximenez Sherry Puncheon / 48.6% vol.
- 2002 cask # 4651 / 13 years old / Pedro Ximenez Sherry Puncheon / 54.8% vol.
- 2003 cask # 930 / 12 years old / Pedro Ximenez Sherry Puncheon / 53.4% vol.
- 2004 cask # 5521 / 12 years old / Pedro Ximenez Sherry Puncheon / 57.3% vol.
All nine are presented in gift boxes and are available soon through specialist retailers.
GlenDronach released GlenDronach Peated in November 2015, its first peated expression said to have a flavour of oak spices, heather, honey, barley sugars and white pepper.