Bar prosecuted for near-fatal liquid nitrogen cocktail
Court proceedings have started against a bar that served an 18-year-old girl a liquid nitrogen cocktail which led to doctors removing her stomach.
Gaby Scanlon, of Lancashire, UK, drank two shots of Jägermeister laced with liquid nitrogen while out with friends celebrating her 18th birthday in Oscar’s Wine Bar in Lancaster in October 2012.
The teenager soon began complaining of severe stomach pains and was driven to Lancaster Royal Infirmary where a CT scan revealed a large perforation where the liquid nitrogen had burned a hole in her stomach and completely destroyed the lining, reported the Lancashire Evening Post.
Doctors performed a four-hour emergency operation to remove her stomach and connected her oesophagus directly to her small intestine.
On Monday, Lancaster City Council announced court proceedings will commence against the venue, one of its directors and an employee.
A statement by the council said: “Andrew Dunn, of The Garden Village in Old Earswick, Yorkshire, has been summoned to court to answer charges under sections 3(1), 33(1)(a) and 37 of the Health and Safety at Work Act etc 1974 in relation to his role as a director of Oscar’s Wine Bar.
“Matthew George Harding, of George Street in Lancaster, has also been summoned to court to answer charged under the breaches of sections 7 an 33(1)(a) of the Health and Safety at Work Act etc 1974 in relation to his role as an employee of Oscar’s Wine Bar.
“The company Oscar’s Wine Bar Ltd, registered address of 39-42 Bridge Street, Swinton, South Yorkshire, has been summoned to court to answer charges under sections 3(1), and 33(1)(a) of the Health and Safety at Work Act etc 1974.”
The first hearing will take place in Lancaster Magistrates’ Court on February 9 2015.