Diageo unveils Prima & Ultima whisky collection
Leading spirits producer Diageo has released a new series of collectable single malt Scotch whiskies worth a combined RRP of £20,000 (US$24,600), called Prima & Ultima.
Prima & Ultima, meaning the ‘first and last’, comprises a selection of casks selected from a number of Diageo distilleries, including Lagavulin, Mortlach and the Singleton of Dufftown.
The eight single vintage malts selected for the first range in the series were chosen by whisky maker Dr Jim Beveridge OBE.
Beveridge said: “Over the past 40 years I have worked intimately with our distilleries across Scotland and I’ve been fortunate enough to witness great change in the whisky industry.
“Each of the eight whiskies I’ve selected for Prima & Ultima tells a tale of heritage and craftsmanship, and I’ve chosen them from distillers of great personal importance to me.”
The first round of Prima & Ultima whiskies includes:
- Caol Ila 1984 (35 years old, 50.8% ABV, aged in a refill European oak butt, 499 bottles)
- Clynelish 1993 (26 years old, 49.8% ABV, aged in refill American oak casks, 941 bottles)
- Cragganmore 1971 (48 years old, 43.7% ABV, aged in a first-fill ex-Sherry butt, 352 bottles)
- Lagavulin 1991 (28 years old, 50.1% ABV, aged in refill American oak casks, 1,013 bottles)
- Mortlach 1994 (25 years old, 55.1% ABV, aged in a first-fill Pedro Ximénez cask and oloroso-seasoned European oak butt, 389 bottles)
- Port Ellen 1979 (40 years old, 51.2% ABV, aged in a refill European oak butt, 436 bottles)
- Singleton of Dufftown 1988 (30 years old, 48.8% ABV, aged in refill American oak casks, 469 bottles)
- Talisker 1988 (31 years old, 51.4% ABV, aged in refill American oak casks, 721 bottles)
Those interested in owning one of the 238 complete sets of Prima & Ultima can register their interest from 22 July via www.exceptionalwhisky.com.
The first set of the series will be auctioned for charity in an online sale through Sotheby’s, which will run from 26 August to 2 September 2020. Bottle number one of each whisky has been signed by Beveridge.