Maker’s Mark hit with ‘handmade’ lawsuitBy Melita Kiely
Maker’s Mark has become the latest spirit brand to find itself in the midst of a lawsuit alleging false advertising promoting the Kentucky Bourbon as handmade.
Two San Diego claimants filed a lawsuit on Monday in the US District Court in San Diego – Safora Nowrouzi and Travis Williams – claiming they overpaid for the Bourbon and wouldn’t have purchased the product – or would have paid less – if they had been aware.
According to reports by The Courier Journal, the lawsuit is seeking class-action status, which means any consumer in California who has purchased a bottle of Maker’s Mark within the last four years could benefit if it proves successful.
It says damages are in excess of US$5 million.
Beam Suntory, owner of Maker’s Mark, has not yet filed a response but spokesman Clarkson Hine said denied the accusations in a statement released on Tuesday.
“This claim is without merit,” he said. “We will defend this case vigorously and we are confident that we will prevail.
“Beyond that, as a matter of company policy, we don’t comment on the details of matters in litigation.”
In October this year, a lawsuit against Templeton Rye whiskey claiming the brand misled consumers into believing it is distilled in Iowa was given approval to proceed.
The brand owners, however, responded to the accusations stating they were in fact entitled to say their product was locally made as they add their own ingredients at their Templeton Distillery.
Meanwhile, in the same month Tito’s Handmade Vodka was hit with its third lawsuit in Florida, also accused of misleading consumers.