Close Menu

Lethal fake gin still sold in Indonesia

Lethal, fake gin that killed a British backpacker last year is still being sold in Indonesian shops.

Cheznye Emmons died in April 2013 after drinking what turned out to be fake gin with a lethal dose of methanol

According to the father of Cheznye Emmons, who died after drinking poisonous gin while travelling in Asia in April 2013, bottles of the spirit have been found still for sale in northern Sumatra.

Brenton Emmons, who lives in Southend, Essex, travelled to the region to uncover the extent of the problem of fake spirits, following the tragic death of his daughter.

His findings were broadcast on BBC One documentary Fake Britain on Tuesday (05 August) evening.

According to the documentary, Mr Emmons was told police had shut down a warehouse containing over 5,000 bottles of counterfeit gin.

However, he had also discovered a sharp drop in the number of shops selling the hazardous spirit in Bukit Lawang, where his daughter bought her fatal bottle.

“When Cheznye was visiting, you could buy it in about 200 shops there,” he said. “Now it’s only available in two or three stores.”

Cheznye Emmons’ family are now campaigning to raise awareness of methanol posioning through the launch of non-governmental organisation, the Save A Life Campaign.

The campaign’s mission is: “To get this very simple information into the NHS system, onto the streets and into our heads – NOBODY deserves to be hurt or killed for something that could so simply be stopped.”

It looks like you're in Asia, would you like to be redirected to the Drinks Business Asia edition?

Yes, take me to the Asia edition No