Glenglassaugh releases second single cask batchBy Kristiane Sherry
Whisky distillery Glenglassaugh has released the second batch of its Rare Cask series of single cask bottlings, all aged from 36 to 42 years.
All of the eight casks were selected by managing director and master distiller Billy Walker, and were bottled in September 2015.
The ‘single cask treasures’ were ‘uncovered’ from a warehouse at the Portsoy distillery, located just outside Scotland’s Speyside region.
Cask number #2125, the oldest in the batch at 42 years, was distilled in October 1972 and finished in a Massandra Madeira puncheon. Bottled at 47.3% abv, given nosing and tasting notes include rich honey infused with allspice, roasted apples, crisp toasted oak characters, Madeira poached pears, sultana syrup and a delicate warm spice.
The youngest in the catch is cask #1118/8, a 36-year-old whisky distilled in October 1978 and finished in a port hogshead. The liquid has been bottled at 43.6%, and given nosing and tasting notes include wild red berries, milk chocolate, a black pepper spice, vintage leather, red fruit preserve, sweet vanilla sugar, warm oak, cinnamon spice and stem ginger syrup.
The full batch details are:
- 1972 cask # 2125 / 42 years old / Massandra Madeira Puncheon / 47.3% vol
- 1973 cask # 1865 / 42 years old / Massandra Aleatico Hogshead / 40.5% vol
- 1973 cask # 761 / 41 years old / Rum Barrel / 41.1% vol
- 1974 cask # 1282/1 / 41 years old / Rum Barrel / 40.8% vol
- 1975 cask # 2180 / 40 years old / Massandra Madeira Puncheon / 43.9% vol
- 1975 cask # 3171 / 40 years old / Pedro Ximenez Sherry Hogshead / 40.2% vol
- 1976 cask # 3170 / 39 years old / Pedro Ximenez Sherry Hogshead / 40.3% vol
- 1978 cask # 1118/8 / 36 years old / Port Hogshead / 43.6% vol
All eight are presented in a golden box which gives cask information.
“The BenRiach Distillery Company took over Glenglassaugh distillery in 2013 and we released our first batch of rare casks in April last year. The response on this first batch release was fantastic, with connoisseurs worldwide delighted to get their hands on these aged, extraordinary malts,” said Alistair Walker, sales director.
“We are therefore delighted to issue Batch 2 today which comprises another eight magnificent expressions – smooth, warm, characterful and sublime Highland whisky at its finest.”
Glenglassaugh released the first batch of its single cask bottlings in April 2014, which included a 45-year-old whisky.