Flavoured whisky entrance for Crown Royal Maple

4th December, 2012 by Becky Paskin

Crown Royal Canadian whisky has made its first foray into the flavoured whisky sphere, with Crown Royal Maple Finished whisky.

Crown Royal Maple whisky

Crown Royal Maple whisky has been launched nationwide in the US

The Diageo-owned brand has finished its Crown Royal DeLuxe blended whisky in maple toasted oak barrels to give the liquid a light, sweet maple taste with woody caramel tones on the finish.

The new expression has been released to capitalise on growing demand for flavoured whiskies in the US, where according to Nielsen it was the fastest growing spirits category in Q1 2012 (155% increase to 94,000 cases).

With 40% abv, Crown Royal Maple Finished whisky is designed to be drunk chilled as a shot, on the rocks, or mixed in cocktails.

Yvonne Briese, vice president of whiskey at Diageo North America, said: “Crown Royal is a brand that values innovation and always strives to exceed our consumers’ expectations. We are excited to release new Crown Royal Maple Finished.

“Authentic to the brand image and Canadian heritage, consumers can be confident that it will deliver Crown Royal’s signature smoothness, steeped in the quality and class that has come to be expected from Crown Royal.”

Crown Royal’s new expression is available nationwide in the US for an RRP of $24.99 for a 750ml bottle. Its packaging, including the brand’s signature bag, is similar to Crown Royal’s distinctive style, but is given a brown and gold makeover to highlight the whisky’s maple notes. It is also available in 50ml, 200ml, 375ml, 1 litre and 1.75 litre.

Diageo will support the launch with television, print and online advertising, as well as strong PR, POS and digital extensions.

14 Responses to “Flavoured whisky entrance for Crown Royal Maple”

1. GERALD B. GIBBONS says:

Where can I buy “Crown Royal Maple Finished whisky”? This shouldn’t be difficult. If not available locally then perhaps I can buy on the Internet?
    I live near Dowling, MI 49050

2. Matt says:

More importantly, when will it be available in Canada?

3. Lou Kirby says:

So….explain to me why a traditional brand product originally from Canada would only market Crown Royal Maple in the good old USA.

• Ron says:

I know how you feel. The thing is, flavoured whiskies are all the rage in the USA right now and the US market is massive compared to Canada. If it does well there, then perhaps soon, we too will be able to taste this maple whisky of our Canadian heritage. Personally, I have been thrilled with the offerings from Fourty Creek. The Copper Pot and Double Barrel are incredible whiskies to sit back with and sip straight up and its 100% Canadian. (Not yet taken control by a foreign entity.)

4. Sheri A says:

What do you mix this with, or do you drink it on the rocks? Coke? 7-up?

• Ron says:

It is best mixed with Canada Dry Ginger ale if you want to mix it.. Most Canadian rye whisky seems to favor a dry Ginger Ale as a mixer. Cola would be too sweet and is better suited to US Sour Mash or Bourbon style whiskies. 7-UP? Never tried it. I also found that some ginger ale’s such as Vernor’s is much to sugary for mixing with Canadian Rye Whiskies. Just my 2 cents.

5. Scott Gentry says:

My GF’s daughter brought some of this to go with eggnog at a Christmas gathering. It was a hit. I have used the remainder for cooking. I sauté cubed sugar cured ham in a little of the Crown Maple and then put it in an omelette…then cover with homemade Alfredo. The combination of the Parmesan in the Alfredo with the maple whiskey is amazing!!!

6. Ray says:

I love on the rocks. I also developed a mixed drink I call a Canadian Coffee: In a twelve oz coffee mug, add 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup (medium grade is best), fill 3/4 full with coffee and stir to mix syrup in, add 1 shot of Crowne Royal Maple Whiskey, stir again then top off with a heaping scoop of vanilla whip cream….enjoy!

7. jim says:

what have you done, bought a bottle of maple, mixed a drink and what a let down, maybe it
    would taste better on ice cream, not a hit we us.

8. Ruth says:

Not a hint, but strong maple flavor and sweet, very sweet. Thinking it would combine well with Kahlua and cream. Too expensive for cooking but adds a nice flavor to pancakes.

9. Bill Murray says:

Not really understanding this all that well, you see i live in Canada where Crown Royal maple is made , well one time you would get a purple bag with your bottle,, Just does not seem fair that we have to pay about 10 bucks more per bottle than USA and they get the bag and we do not , just not fair to all the people in Canada that loyally drink Crown Royal products,

10. Shirley says:

We tried the Crown Royal Maple this evening on its own and as a cocktail and found it absolutely disgusting. A disappointment to say the least

11. marcin says:

I love it , my friend bought one at the airport in Canada.

12. Maurice says:

Love this whisky, can anyone tell me where you can buy this in the UK?