About The Global Spirits Masters
Launched in 2008, The Global Spirits Masters has continued to seek and reward excellence from across the world, encouraging recognition among consumers and trade for quality in spirits.
Judging for The Global Spirits Masters is divided into 15 separate competitions to ensure each spirit category is given the utmost attention by specialised judges. A list of the competitions and the range of categories can be downloaded here.
For the past seven years, the Masters has sought to retain its individuality as the only blind spirits tasting competition to use carefully selected and completely independent judges, including experienced bartenders, spirits journalists, and spirits educators.
Entrants can rest assured that their product has been measured constructively and without bias by our panels of trained professionals.
The results of each competition is published within The Spirits Business magazine, which with its global circulation of 13,000 copies, guarantees that entrants’ medal wins are visible to a truly international and industry-focused crowd. In addition, the results are also posted on www.thespiritsbusiness.com, which attracts over 400,000 visitors from almost 150 countries.
The Judging Process
• The judging process is conducted under strict conditions to ensure complete impartiality and the delivery of fair scores.
• The Global Spirits Masters is the only blind tasting competition to pride itself on using completely independent judges, free of any tie to particular brands. Judges are chosen according to their expertise in each category.
• Products are assessed blind in numbered ISO glasses, which are poured with care at a distance from the judging area.
• Each entry is marked on appearance, aroma, palate and balance.
• Entries are tasted alongside other examples in their category but are considered individually and on their own merit.
• At the end of each competition, the Masters winners are tasted once more side-by-side to determine the Grand Spirits Master of that category. The Grand Spirits Masters are unveiled at an annual awards ceremony in London in December.
The distinguished judges who have participated in The Global Spirits Masters have included:
Herchelle Perez Terrado, spirits buyer, Waitrose
Anne Jones, media manager for wines, beers and spirits, Waitrose
Matt Chambers, founder, Whisky For Everyone
Billy Abbott, The Whisky Exchange
Jamie Kimber, bar manager, Trailer Happiness
Alwynne Gwilt, freelance whisky writer aka Miss Whisky
Pepijn Vanden Abeele, bar manager at Coburg Bar at The Connaught Hotel
Tobias Gorn, The Whisky Shop
Georgi Radev, bar manager, Mahiki
David Smith, freelance gin writer
Tom Aske, co-founder, Fluid Movement
Adam McCulloch, bar manager, The Cadigan Arms
Ivan Dixon, wine and spirits buyer, Harvey Nichols
Becky Paskin, editor of Scotchwhisky.com and former editor of The Spirits Business
Luca Cordiglieri, UKBG president and bar manager at China Tang at The Dorchester
Elliot Ball, co-owner, Cocktail Trading Company
Peter Holland, freelance rum writer
John Gibbons, independent rum judge
For entry deadlines and further information about how to enter, click here.
For more information, please email email@example.com